Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tunes Tuesday {Tried it Tuesday linky}

Happy Tuesday everyone!  I am happy to link up with Holly over at Fourth Grade Flipper for her weekly Tried It Tuesday linky.  I LOVE this link.  I have found some great ideas that I have either already pushed into my classroom or put in the try it later folder.  You have to check it out!

I must admit it is a bit hard to try things when we keep having SNOW/COLD days!  Today is number 6!  I am so hoping that January will end and all this super cold nastiness will fade away with it.  Oh well, can't change it so I guess I'll just have to go with it.  Anyway, here's my

Last week I tried out Tunes Tuesday, an idea I read about over at Nick's Sweet Rhyme and Pure Reason this past summer. You can check his post out here.  Tunes Tuesday is a way to incorporate music into your grammar lessons.  
Want a copy?
Here's how it worked in my room.  We've been reviewing parts of speech lately. I felt like most had a good handle on nouns, so  I chose the song "Hall of Fame" by the Script.  I love this song and it has such a powerful message, plus it is FULL of nouns.  For this activity students gets copy of the lyrics and are to highlight all the examples of nouns they could find.  You can simply play the song or show the video (if it is kid appropriate-Why is that so hard?)  I really like the official video for this song, but I ended up choosing this one because it showed a variety of people reaching their goals and tied into the Olympics.  We played the video through once.  After we watched the video, we played the song one more time while the students highlighted the nouns in the lyrics.  

My students all seemed to enjoy this activity.  It was funny to listen to them as the song started.  Comments like "Hey, I know this song" or "This one is on the radio" were plentiful.  They never know what music I am going to play- they have heard a lot of songs that they've never heard of, so I think they were pleasantly surprised to hear something familiar. :-)  Some even chose to sing along.  What's that quote-"Whistle while you work..."  it surely does make a task sweeter.

We are going to try to make this a weekly thing in our room for the remainder of the year.  (This week it will be Tunes Thursday-since we are home today.) When Nick did his link up in July people shared songs for all kinds of language arts skills- figurative language, verbs, similes and metaphors, pronouns and more.  If you want to try Tunes Tuesday in your own room I definitely recommend you visit Nick's blog it is worth it!

That's my Tried it Tuesday.  Head over to Holly's to link up your new ideas and see what other's have been up too.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea! I love incorporating music into lessons!
    Deb
    Not very fancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Kay! I participated in this with Nick this summer and got some great songs to incorporate into my room too. My students LOVE when I use music. Thanks again for the Just Dance videos...my kids are loving them!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this reminder of Nick's linky! I need to go back and make an organized list of the ideas teachers shared. Students LOVE anything with music. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! I'm glad it was successful!

    I get annoyed when a song is perfect but the video isn't kid-friendly! Aargh. I broke down and did Katy Perry's "Roar" song a couple weeks ago and just didn't show the video.

    Thanks for the shout-out!

    -Nick
    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete